Skip to main content

When I found out I was going to be a dad

This was taken from another blog I have since deactivated...

I found out I was going to be a dad on my birthday. At six in the fucking morning. Sleep-deprived and still a bit bourbon-soaked from the night before, I had planned to sleep in until the sun shining through the window (and ringing in my head) woke me up.
My wife, and the little mutant growing in her uterus, had other plans.
She yelled - more like yelped - at me. That's very disconcerting for a completely asleep and fairly drunk person. I shot up from the pillow in a cold sweat (that's just a turn of phrase because the Arizona summer heat and the alcohol in my system actually resulted in a very warm, sticky and altogether unpleasant sweat that's not nearly as thought provoking).
My first thought was "What the fuck is happening!?" The worst ran through my head. Home invasion. Or, my knock off Macbook charger exploded and the house is burning down. Or, FX cancelled It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. My wife, ever the early riser and born mother, always wakes up at about 5 am on Saturday but is kind enough to let me sleep. My point is, this display of hilarity was odd.
The thump, thump, thumping in my veins reverberated through my whole body and new, less gross sweat beaded on my forehead. The beating and sweat and sleep clouded my vision, but I could see the shape of my wife in front of me.
And I could smell something odd...piss?
She held the urine soaked piece of plastic in my face. I think we're pregnant, she said. Naturally, I started sweating more and nearly devolved into a full flung panic attack. Can you see it? Can you see it? She kept asking me.
Sure, enough below the first solid pink line, I saw the faintest signs of a second. My wife had taken to peeing on sticks regularly over the past five months since we started trying (read: started making sweet, sweet love basically every day because I'm dedicated). That trend didn't stop on my birthday either. My wife would go on to take roughly 346 more tests in the upcoming weeks, just to make sure our fledgling progeny didn't look around her innards, scoff and book a return ticket to Neverland.
Where was I? Oh, yeah. The test was positive. It smelled like pee. I think some got on my face, which is a pretty apropos way to start fatherhood if you ask me.
Oh my god, I said. Holy fuck, I thought.
There's nothing like the impending responsibility of fatherhood to shake the drunken stupor off a person. I stood up, seeing clear as day, and hugged my wife.
I also peed in my pants a little.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Q&A with James Sallis

  Originally published in Modern Times Magazine in June 2013. James Sallis is an author, poet and writing instructor living in Phoenix. He is also a musician in the Arizona band Three-Legged Dog. Amongst other works, he has written the Lew Griffin detective series,   The Killer is Dying , and   Drive , the book that inspired Nicolas Winding-Refn’s film of the same name starring Ryan Gosling. Sallis currently teaches writing courses at Phoenix College. Modern Times Magazine:  As a professional writer, what does your daily schedule look like? I am guessing it is not the same as someone with a nine-to-five job. James Sallis:  No, no it’s not. That’s actually the best thing about it. I only had to put on clothes because I was coming to meet you. It varies a lot. I do most of my most creative stuff in the morning. I get up and I answer emails, so a lot of business happens then. And then I work. But, as a book progresses, I tend to work more and more. As I’m getting m...

Phoenix Metro Police, Feds Working Together To Blunt Activists

Originally Published by Modern Times Magazine on June 5, 2013 DBA Press and the Center for Media and Democracy recently released Dissent or Terror an 88-page report illustrating a complicated network of law enforcement agencies and large corporations working together to stifle Occupy Phoenix and similar protests. The report — which is supplemented by over 1,000 emails, communications and other documents in the appendix — highlights the ways in which local and federal law enforcement and large corporations cooperated with one another through the use of “fusion centers” and other means, especially in the Phoenix metro, to limit the impact of activists that could adversely affect the corporate business community. The document primarily focuses on “fusion centers,” information-sharing communities made up of local and federal law-enforcement agencies. The centers were originally created in a “counter-terrorism/all-hazards” capacity. According to the document, the centers, ...

When my son was born and I had to poop

She lay in my lap, every inch of her 5-foot frame tensed. You have to keep pushing, I said. You have to get him out now, she said. After a relatively quick 7 hour labor, here we sat. Her body stuck into my lap on the bathroom floor. The midwives sitting at the other end, waiting for the baby to arrive. Our baby, still an abstract thought to me, becoming more real with every second. His head was halfway out but now stuck in the canal. We need you to push harder than before, we sang in unison. A chorus of sirens beckoning her towards the rocks. I can’t, I can’t, she said as she pushed harder than before. The quick labor was followed by an unbelievably tough delivery. It turns out the baby was asynclitic transverse with a nuchal arm. Basically that means his body was in a super fucked up position with a elbow curled up next to his face. My wife was trying to push out the Tasmanian Devil from those old Looney Toons cartoons. And then she did it. With a ferocity and strength I’d never ...